Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lovely heat - finally!

Summer is here - hurray! The little bird on our front door flew the coop yesterday, so we packed up and moved its house....sound familiar, James? We've been working so hard around the yard doing gardening and fix-up jobs that we're starting to question selling the cottage because it was too much WORK! We're having fun, though. It will be nice to actually enjoy our lovely garden.

We're also looking forward to all the wonderful summer activities that go on all summer in our area. For instance, Ray and Shirley invited us to join them at a Ukrainian picnic festival on Monday (Victoria Day). The food was wonderful - schnitzel, sauerkraut, sausages, streudel - yum! There were young people dressed in their national costumes and they performed their countries' dances. Lots of fun.

Today, Bern stained the floor of our sunken patio. We had talked about the colour - I thought a nice beige or sand colour would be nice. We stained the wooden retaining wall last night and it really looked great. When he opened the concrete stain, I had to bite my tongue. It's orange! As much as he tried to convince me (and himself) that it was exactly the colour he was going for, in the end we both decided that the store had misrepresented the colour. So, we'll live with it...some day it will wear off...right?

We got our deck contactor - he's our neighbour from just around the corner. His price is way below all the other quotes we got. He has lots of good references, so we'll see. I'm really looking forward to having a place to set up my patio furniture. The grass is okay, but it's nicer to be up off the ground a bit, especially when you're eating - maybe I'm just spoiled.

Next Monday, we're heading north to help Tim and Judy open their new (our old) cottage for the summer. I'm still not sure how I'm going to feel since I haven't been up since we sold it this Spring. We're only planning to stay for a few hours and then we'll go to Massey to spend a couple of days with Jimmy and Jackie. Then, on the way back home, we're hoping to stop in to see Ted and Lynn in Sudbury. This will be the first long trip for the new jeep. I sure hope it's comfortable!

No comments:

Post a Comment