Our great nieces, Ashley and Courtney (my husband's sister Brenda's grand daughters) have an amazing story to tell. This story is ongoing since it involves illness, treatment, faith and hope for a cure. These are amazing, sweet young women who have been through more suffering than most of us will have in our whole lifetimes - and they're only 23 and 19. Their mother, Karen has written a brief description of their journey thus far.
"Ashley: 23 yrs old this July
Ashley was 9 years old when she got Crohn's Colitis disease and stomach ulcers. There is no cure and they do not know what causes it. She has been on many medications over the last 14 yrs. She has relapsed many times. It is the kind of disease that when it is under control you are healthy, and when you have a flare up (usually stress is a major factor) you become very sick, dehydrated, lose weight and become very weak. She has been hospitalized 4 times over the 14 yrs (the worst being when she was 17 she was hospitalized at Sick Kids for 2 weeks and I stayed in the hospital with her the whole time) , her being put on iv's-namely steroids, nutrition packs, hydration iv s, taken off food completely and put on bowel rest until the inflammation goes down and food is introduced slowly. She has a history of low iron and anemia and is on a prescription iron supplement, along with pariet for stomach ulcers, mercaptopurine for Crohns and is weaning off prednisone week by week. She continues to go for colonoscopies, routine bloodwork and check ups with her Gastroenterologist.
Courtney: 19 yrs old this past Dec
At 17 yrs of age, in March 2007, Courtney noticed a lump in her neck. She was also experiencing severe abdominal pain and an ultrasound showed multiple tumors in her neck, chest and abdomen. She was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma Stage 3 B. We knew it was a curable disease from what the doctors had said, and aware my cousin had it 18 yrs ago. Courtney went to a Haemotologist and Oncologist at Sick Kids Hospital and started chemotherapy in Apr for 6 months, ending in Oct. She was hooked up to all kinds of iv's, chemo drugs, etc.(some days lasting from 8 in the morning until 7 at night). Some days she was refused chemo because her blood count was too low, and she was sent home. She had cat scans, PET scans, MRI's done. Her hair began falling out 2 weeks later (we had a head shaving party, videoed it and made it fun with family and friends to support her) and she began wearing a wig. She became too weak to continue school in grade 12 from the beginning of May, unable to finish her school year. All the teachers were very compassionate and had passed her under the circumstances. She felt very blessed to be strong enough to make it to her graduation ceremony. (We were all crying!!).Then radiation started in Oct at Princess Margaret Hospital every weekday for 6 weeks until the end of Nov, Nov 26 in fact, the 2nd anniversary day of my father's passing from a very rare brain tumor (there's no accident or co-incidence in that date!! Courtney knows her grandfather was with her every step of the way). She has had an amazing and positive outlook throughout this very difficult journey, always stating that the Lord was walking beside her every step of the way. She is cancer free and a survivor for 14 months (Praise God). She continues to go for routine CT scans and check ups with her Oncologist at Princess Margaret. She has to be so careful not to get sick or be around people that have a cold or flu. She has made so many friends at the hospital and at Camp Oochigeous, but over the last 2 years she has also lost many friends due to this horrible disease.
There is no one more important than my children and that is why I have stayed home with them for 22 years when they needed to be cared for."
How you can help
Here is a letter Courtney wrote:
February 16, 2009
Dear Friend,
I have chosen to participate in The Ride to Conquer Cancer that takes place June 13 and 14, 2009. It is a 200 km, 2 day bike ride from Toronto to Niagara Falls and all the proceeds go to research at one of the top five leading cancer hospitals in the world—Princess Margaret Hospital!
Did you know that 1 in 3 people will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime? That means that we all will be affected by cancer if not directly then indirectly. Unfortunately I was introduced to cancer at a young age as my grandfather died from brain cancer when I was 15. Only two years later I was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, Stage 3 B. After undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatment for 8 months, I am proud to call myself a survivor of 14 months! While undergoing treatment at Sick Kids Hospital and Princess Margaret Hospital, I was introduced to the Ride to Conquer Cancer. Unfortunately then I was too weak to participate, however now I am more than ready. I began training everyday and now I must fundraise.
This ride and fundraiser is so important to me. Not only am I challenging myself physically, but emotionally and spiritually as well. To participate in the ride I must raise a minimum of $2,500 however my goal is to raise $3,000. It’s hard asking family and friends for money, but this cause and this event are very important to me. I am doing this ride for the friends that I had made at the hospital who have since then lost their battle to this horrible disease. I hope that you will donate $100. I figure if everyone on my list donates $100, I’ll meet my goal. (Any size donation will be gratefully accepted).
Please help me reach my goal! To sponsor me as a rider, you can visit my personal page via ‘Sponsor a Participant’ at www.conquercancer.ca
Also, my sister Ashley is doing the ride with me along with my friend Mappi Valdez, and you can visit our team page – Team SHA. OR YOU CAN CLICK ON THE LINK ON THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THIS BLOG - it will take you right to our page on the "Ride To Conquer Cancer" website.
Please forward this to everyone on your contact list that may be interested in putting a stop to this horrible disease. We all know someone who has been affected by cancer. Corporate sponsors are welcome also!!
Thank you for your support! Let’s put an end to cancer forever!
Courtney Anderson
No comments:
Post a Comment