Wednesday, June 04, 2008
We’ve made it to Wednesday - one more week to go. The weather has been rainy and bug-y with variable sunshine. Somehow, those pesky mosquitoes are finding their way inside the cottage, so Bern lit a Pic. That’s a smoky thing that’s supposed to kill mosquitoes - I’m not too sure it works. Could be that it drugs everybody into thinking they’re only “seeing” mosquitoes. Anyway, Bern has injured his back again and is taking a few days to rest up before Wade comes up on Friday night. We were hoping Rebecca was coming, too, but she was unable to get out of some previously scheduled teaching obligations - she did try! Wade may be bringing along one of his hunting buddies (Bern actually spent most of last year’s moose hunt with him) so I’m sure they’ll all have lots of fun reminiscing about that.
Tomorrow, we will go into Burks Falls to do some grocery shopping, take the garbage to the dump and hopefully make a stop at the library so I can check my email and get these updates posted to my blog. I’m sure there are lots of bills waiting for me, too. I took some more pictures for you - it really is pretty up here (from inside for now).
Monday, June 02, 2008
Okay, so there’s bored and then there’s bored! How bored were you? you might ask. Let’s put it this way, I got out an old Weight Watchers’ low impact aerobics video - AND I DID IT!!!! IS THIS SICK OR WHAT? Just kidding - not kidding about doing the workout - kidding about it being that bad. Yesterday, we did nothing but watch TV all day long - golf, poker and a Jackie Chan movie. Bern went out today and cut down a dead tree, he was so bored. Actually, the tree did need to come down before we have a big wind and it falls into the cottage. Poor guy, though, the black flies and mosquitoes are horrendous. Judy and Herman came over for coffee and cake Saturday night and they were saying they had to fight them off INSIDE their cabin. Herman was trying to caulk every tiny hole he could find to try to keep them out! I’m afraid I’d be heading home.
We were going to go into Burks Falls today to get Bern’s chain saw fixed and I was going to get him to drop me off at the library to use the internet - but, clever boy, he fixed it himself. I’ll have to dream up another excuse to go to town now. Anyway, that’s all the news from the sunny, buggy North for now.
Saturday, May 31, 2008
We took a drive into Huntsville today to get a new battery for Bern’s ATV. We shopped at Wal-Mart - it was just nice getting out of the cottage for awhile. The window shade in the bathroom keeps falling down every time we try to open or close it, so that’s another reason we went to Huntsville. We got everything else, but forgot the new shade! I had even written it on my list - DUH! Oh well, I guess we’ll have to go back again. I did remember hummingbird food, though, so I’ll get that put out tomorrow. That little hummingbird keeps peering in the window making me feel very guilty.
Before we started back, Bern suggested that we drop in on George and Judy Attrill. I’m so glad we did. We had such a lovely visit - complete with sandwiches and salad. I always like to call ahead when we’re going to visit people, but Bern wanted to surprise them. They seemed genuinely happy to see us. Judy said she never usually has cold cuts or buns in the house, but for some reason she felt she needed to buy some - now she knows why. Cool, huh? They are such a nice couple!
Later, after supper, Herman and Judy Poel came over for coffee and cake. They just left and we’re watching Andromeda Strain, the movie. Tomorrow it’s supposed to rain again. I may venture outside to check to see if my rhubarb is ready to be picked. Apparently, you’re supposed to be able to start using it in the spring. There may be a rhubarb pie in our immediate future!!!
Friday, May 30, 2008
Okay, I’m officially bored! Before we came up here, Bern asked me if I was going to pack some craft supplies - I didn’t - I wish I had!! You can only clean so much now I don’t have anything to do. Thank goodness I brought my laptop. I plan to do some digital scrapbooking. I’d like to get some pages done about our new house that I can print to go into an album. Also, I want to do a digital scrapbook of our trip out west in July which I will copy onto CD’s for the family, so I’m going to start organizing elements to use in this pursuit.
It’s been raining today and is supposed to continue through tomorrow. Judy and Herman will be up tonight so they’ll probably come over tomorrow night for a visit.
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
We arrived at the cottage on Monday and I was hoping to be overwhelmed again by the sheer beauty of our little home away from home. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the same feelings as in other years. I think there were a few reasons: 1 - our new house is so spacious that when I walked in here, I felt almost claustrophobic; 2 - I usually spotlessly clean the cottage in the fall before we close it for the season so when we open in the spring, everything looks fresh (dusty but neat, at least) and last year because we’d had so much company (including Lou and Karleen Lachance and Penny for Thanksgiving) that when we all left, things got left rather messy. Penny and I drove down together while Bern stayed on to give us a head start. It was all very hectic getting us all out the door at the same time that … well, it wasn’t left the way I like it! And 3, the winter was really hard on the trees up here and the tree beside the deck (where I always hang two bird feeders so I can easily watch the chickadees, nuthatches, blue jays and finches as they feed) has snapped in half. It looks like one of our beautiful big birch trees didn’t make it either and will probably fall down sooner rather than later.
Yesterday, I cleaned the kitchen & bathroom from top to bottom - they sparkled. Then, today I tackled dusting, vacuuming and mopping/waxing all the floors, and rearranging a few things to make the space look spacier and less cluttered. Tomorrow, I’ll tackle the guestroom and our bedroom. Bern has been working his little butt off outside getting his boat cleaned out, motors running, my paddle boat in the water, and the grass cut - all amongst the mosquitoes and black flies!!!
So….now, I love it again! I got a picture of a yellow belly sap sucker pretending to be a woodpecker on top of the bird feeder. Then, a hummingbird peered in at me through the big picture window in the living room, probably wondering why my hummingbird feeder isn’t up yet. The weather has been freezing cold and windy, but the sun has been shining. I’m actually glad it’s not warm out there because then I’d feel guilty about not going out to enjoy it. This time of the year (the bug-y time) I stay inside!!! I didn’t bring any craft things to work on since we’re only going to be here for a couple of weeks - I hope I don’t regret that. I will bring my scrapbooking stash here when we come back up for the month of August when Mom is here.
That’s all for now. We don’t have internet access here so I’m typing this on my laptop and will copy and paste it into Blogspot when we get home.
No comments:
Post a Comment