Thursday, June 12, 2008

What a nice weekend!

Monday, June 9, 2008

Wade and his mother, Linda arrived around 3:30 on Friday. I remember meeting Linda at a couple of their family events, but hadn’t really sat down to chat with her. We never stopped talking all weekend! We’re the same age, but Linda’s husband passed away three or four years ago. She’s doing really well now, though. She works a couple of jobs so keeps busy with that, plus she has 6 grandchildren she adores. Wade took her out fishing a few times - for perch, of course, since they’re the only fish in season right now - and she caught one! Wade’s going to send me the picture. Wade said he saw some huge bass - one was almost 2 feet long - fish story?? The mosquitoes weren’t too, too bad during the day, but after sunset? Forget it! Wade helped Bern (as he always does and we love him for it) around the cottage and got all the necessary instructions for when he, Rebecca and the kids come up in July while we’re in Montana.

Friday night we had a most horrendous thunder storm! The power went out for a few hours - we were all pretty well ready for bed anyway. The lightning turned everything to daylight for a few seconds, then we were plunged into pitch blackness. It was kind of cool - very noisy, but cool! I got out my little battery-operated book light and read for a bit until things calmed down. It pretty well rained all night.

We went over to Herman and Judy’s cabin Saturday afternoon and visited with them while Bern cut the grass at the back of the cottage. Saturday night we had steak for supper - Wade & Linda brought the steaks with them. I say steak, but I should have said two small roasts!! These things were huge! Bern and I were still eating the leftovers the next day for lunch and supper. Anyway, they were delicious. Linda makes awesome butter tarts and had brought about two dozen fresh ones - yummy! After supper Herman and Judy came over for coffee and helped us finish off the last piece of apple pie and the rest of the butter tarts. Wade and Linda left around 10:30 Sunday morning. Linda said now she understands why Wade and Rebecca love coming up here so much! I’m glad she had a good time.

Bern and I took a little spin around the lake in the afternoon - it’s so pretty. Herman and Judy were sitting out on there front porch enjoying the summer breeze so I took a picture of them - very nice! Bern cut the grass at the front of the cottage in the afternoon then came in and had a nap while I watched the Blue Jays win their baseball game. Oh, the cottage life! It’s supposed to rain all day again, so I guess I’ll start cleaning and packing up to go home on Wednesday….as I was sitting here typing this, a red squirrel was scurrying up the side of the cottage deck trying to figure out how to get to the hummingbird feeder - he didn’t manage to reach it, but I got a cute picture!

Friday, June 06, 2008

We’ve had periods of sunny weather today - quite warm. The hummingbirds have been fighting over the feeders. Of course, as soon as I get my camera out, they take their fight elsewhere or I only get one of them in the picture at a time. They’re so much fun to watch!

Wade called this morning to say he’s bringing his mother with him and they’ll get here around supper time. We’ve been trying to get her up here for ages, so this will be nice. Bern made spaghetti sauce this morning and I made an apple pie this afternoon.

As we were driving out our road yesterday (before the day went sour), we noticed a “for sale” sign on one of the cottage properties on our lake. Of course, we had to find out how much they’re asking for it, didn’t we? The agent Bern talked to in town said she was a little shocked that they’d put it up for so little as they can’t keep cottages (especially waterfront properties) on the market for very long, so the owners must really need to get rid of it for some reason. That’s not particularly good for us if we decide to put ours up for sale. Anyway, the cottage down the way is on the market for $200,000. It has 3 bedrooms where ours only has 2, but I think ours is nicer. We wouldn’t be doing anything for a couple of years, but it’s always interesting to get a sense of what it would be worth. The agent is going to try to come out this weekend to give us an appraisal anyhow.

I’m really looking forward to next weekend! Bern is going on his annual fishing trip with Dave. He’ll drive up to Barrie on Friday afternoon so they can get an early start driving to the fishing camp on Saturday morning. Soooooo……Fran and Jan are coming to stay with me! YAHOO! They’re planning to arrive around 8:00 p.m. Friday evening and will stay until Sunday around noon. I’m bringing home the “blow up” bed which I’ll get set up in Bern’s office (there’s nothing in there yet), so then either Jan or Fran can sleep in there and the other can sleep in the guest room. And, if Maggie is able to come, we still have the sofa in the family room. We might go shopping in Niagara Falls or Niagara-On-The-Lake since we’re so close by - or we might just stay put! It’ll just be nice to have them here. Well, I’d better get the beds made here for Wade and his Mom. Until later….

No comments:

Post a Comment