Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Montana trip - Part 3

We left Brainerd early this morning - you wouldn't think an hour change in time would make a difference, but we're going to bed earlier and getting up earlier!! I hate to think what's going to happen when we cross over to Mountain Standard Time.

Anyway, once we got onto the I-94 the speed limit changed from 45-55 mph to 75 mph! That's like 120 km/hour in Canada! We were zooming right along - the highway was in wonderful condition and there really wasn't much traffic to speak of.  Of course, my mileage dropped from 34 mpg to 27 mpg! You have to pay one way or the other.

We stopped at a facility just off the highway at Tower City called the Tower Travel Centre for a late breakfast. What a neat place - a truck stock, gas bar, convenience store, bakery, and cafe. It was spotless and you could actually watch pies and bread being made while you had your meal. It was one of the best breakfasts I've had in a long, long time. Loved it!

We've been listening to Country music for three days and even I'm getting tired of it. We found an old radio mystery program on the SAT radio that was fun. Today, we went down memory lane (Bern's not mine!) and listed to music from the 40's.

We arrived in Bismarck at 2:30 (our time), got gas $45 to fill up, and got a car wash - there are lots of big bugs in North Dakota! I've never had such a good car wash - they actually sprayed bug washer all over the car and made sure they were all off before we went through the automated part. Then, two guys took towels and wiped down the whole car including inside the doors! God help the next bug that lands on my clean car!!!!

The Days Inn here is very nice - nicer than the previous two places. They even have a popcorn machine in the lobby! It's dreadfully hot here, but we walked a couple of blocks to a Taco John's for supper. I had a taco salad and Bern had a meat and potato burrito. We picked up a couple of candy bars for later. This hotel also has a snack time from 8:00-8:30 - we asked what they're having - peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Bern might go down, but I'm in my PJ's and settled in for the night.

Tomorrow afternoon, we will be in Wolf Point!!! Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment