Sunday, July 29, 2012

Montana trip - Part 14 - On our way home!

Yesterday, I went to the funeral of the mother of a classmate of mine. My friend, Sharon lives in Arizona, but we've reconnected on facebook. Pat and I went together and it's a good thing, too. She was able to point out some of our other classmates that I wouldn't have known otherwise. Sandra Bixby Pipal and Maxine Toaves were there, as well as a woman (Mrs. Stennis) who knew me when I was a little girl. I actually remembered her and she remembered me, too, once we got chatting. She is losing her vision, but she still sees a little and knew my Mom and Dad quite well.

Pat and I finally got to spend some quality time together. We went out for lunch after the funeral. It was nice just to sit and reminisce without interruption. We had a few laughs and she opened up about what's been happening with her hubby, Bill. He's deteriorated significantly since I was home a year ago and is virtually helpless, only able to feed himself finger foods. She's quit work to stay home and care for him. I have so much respect for her and her dedication to her husband. It reminds me of Bern's cousin, Juanita who nursed her husband through many years of Lou Gehrig's disease. It takes a very special woman to care for someone who can't care for themselves!
My friend, Pat

We spent the afternoon at Mom's playing cards and then she treated us to supper. Later, Greg and Cec came by to say goodbye with big hugs and kisses. We stayed a few more minutes with Mom before reluctantly saying goodbye to her...not easy!

This morning, after a light breakfast, we started our trip toward home. The trip has been so easy - especially the 75 mph speed limit! And, being Sunday, there were no construction crews out there blocking our way. We passed through some stunning scenery on the way - called the bad lands...can't imagine what the pioneers thought when they got to this part of the world!



For awhile, we thought we'd veered off into Texas - there were the world's largest metal sculptures, the world's largest buffalo, the world's largest guernsey cow! I only got a picture of one of the sculptures!

We're staying at the Americinn in Valley City, ND. It's a very nice motel - big room with all the normal stuff plus a sofa and ottomon (great for watching the Olympics on the HDTV)! We went out for supper at a place in town called Bargain Burgers - recommended by the front desk girl. We had a fried chicken dinner - greasy but good.




Tomorrow, we'll head for Duluth...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment