Friday, December 18, 2009

The Christmas spirit!

We just got home from our church's annual Christmas dinner. We had a traditional turkey dinner, sang Christmas carols, played silly games and generally had a wonderful time. I'm definitely in the Christmas spirit now!

I'm busy trying to get last minute cards finished and in the mail. I don't know how I got so far behind. Next year, I'm starting in July!!!! I haven't baked anything for Christmas - the only thing I've committed to is making a pumpkin pie to take to Fran's on Friday. We haven't been eating a lot of sweets since we're trying to lose weight, but Bern has a harder time resisting than I do, so every now and then I'll bake a banana bread or a batch of those oatmeal/walnut cookies I told you about. Then, he's happy for awhile.

We're so excited - we're going to Wade and Rebecca's on Monday afternoon and will stay over night because Wade was chosen to carry the Olympic Flame in his little area of Ontario. Early Tuesday morning, we're going to cheer him on as he runs! Wade and Rebecca live in Brantford not far from Walter Gretzky's house (yes, Wayne's Dad). Wade and he have become friends over the years, so maybe we'll see him there, too. Anyway, it will be awesome to actually see the Olympic Flame and to be part of the celebration. We'll come home Tuesday afternoon.

Oh, I almost forgot! Remember I told you about a silent auction they had at church after the children's Christmas concert to raise money for the teens to go on a mission's trip next year? Well, I bid on a golf package for four thinking my little bid would NEVER win. Well, guess what? I won!!! It's a round of golf at one of the most beautiful golf courses in the area called Pennisula Lakes. We've invited Pastor Rene and Christine to go with us. We had so much fun when we teamed up at the church golf tournament - this will be a bit more challenging, but we're all going to practice up before we play. Bern also bid on a movie poster of Pirates of the Caribbean (Orlando Bloom). It will hang in his office. If it had been Johnny Depp, it would be hanging in my office!

Here's another Bella page. I'm starting on her birthday pages while I wait patiently for Christmas pictures. Nev had to start back to work on Monday after being home for a year. It was going to be a rough week for everyone, I'm sure. I haven't heard yet how everything went. I know Pen and Howard were going to help out with Bella the first few mornings. Nev has to be in Toronto by 7:30 a.m. as she is a money-market trader and the bulk of their transactions take place before noon. However, since they live quite a way north of the city, she has to be up and out of the house by 6:00 a.m. Crazy! Bella will go to a babysitter four days a week and Penny and Howard will take her one day a week. I'm so glad I got to stay home until James started school!

No comments:

Post a Comment