This blog is intended to be a place where I can show my scrapbook pages and cards to family and friends, as well as a way to keep in touch. I hope you enjoy reading through the events of my life and seeing how I keep sane by crafting!!
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Wednesday, October 08, 2008
The calm before the storm!
Tomorrow, our guests will start to arrive for Thanksgiving. We’re very excited to see everyone. Early in the morning, we’ll be going into BurksFalls to do laundry, check email, pick up our turkey and dump off garbage. Then, we’ll race back here to tidy up.
Tuesday night, we went into Huntsville to have dinner with George and Judy, in celebration of their 36th anniversary. We really enjoy their company and got a chance to catch up. We were home by 8:30 and settled down to watch “Fringe”, which was pre-empted by the U.S. presidential debate. Oh well, if it’s not the U.S. election, it’s the Canadian election and I don’t know which one is worse!! Maybe, it’s an age thing, but I’m losing confidence in the “earthly powers that be”.
Hurray! I got my contact lenses today - I can see again! Bern broke a front tooth a few days ago, but we were able to find a denturist just outside of Huntsville, who very kindly fixed the plate, so look out turkey dinner!
Karleen called today to say they are very excited about coming for the weekend. Karleen is my friend who has cancer - she still really needs our prayers for healing (spiritual, physical and emotional). She is sounding very frail these days and her white blood cell count is way up, so has to stay away from viruses, etc.
James and Emily are unable to come up - I was afraid of that! He can’t get Saturday off work. I know he’s disappointed, as are we. I’m planning to stop in Oakville next Thursday on my way home and will take him out for a nice lunch so we can catch up.
Friday, October 03, 2008
Oh “deer”!!!
For all you who know me well, you know I rarely go anywhere without my camera. However, when we went into BurksFalls last Tuesday t
o get groceries, do laundry and run errands, I decided that since it was such a dreary, rainy day, I didn’t need anything else to carry around. I had my laptop to use at the library and since I’d never had the occasion to use my camera on all our other trips to town, I decided to leave it at the cottage.
Of course, of course, of course - on our way home - on Three Mile Lake Road, as we were coming around a corner, a little doe walked out onto the road. We were far enough away that we were able to stop. As we waited for her to cross the road, three more deer walked up onto the road and stood looking at us. It would have made a beautiful picture!!!! I tried using the camera on my phone, but I haven’t used it enough to be able to get a good shot and the one picture I did snap came out dark and too tiny to actually see the deer. Oh well.
Last night, Bern was standing by the front window talking to Wade on the phone, when he said, “Oh my gosh! There’s a big doe and fawn on our lawn!” I rushed to get my camera, but it was too dark to get a picture. She was big and beautiful, though. I didn’t see the fawn as it had already walked off into the bush. It was so cool!
Monday, October 06, 2008
Eye-Yi-Yi!!
Last Wednesday, we went to Huntsville as I had arranged an eye appointment with a doctor there after trying to get a prescription approved and faxed up here from Oakville. What an ordeal! Anyway, I guess we’ll be looking for a new eye doctor in Welland when we get back - probably just as well. I pick up my new lenses on Wednesday, and barring any need to adjust the fit, I’ll be back to seeing both sides of life. It hasn’t been as difficult as I thought it was going to be (seeing out of one eye), but I’ll be happy to get my depth perception back again.
The Feere’s arrived late Friday night. Payge had to do a project for school and decided to give it to us to put up at the cottage. It’s a little house - about 15 inches by 20 inches, sitting on a base. The roof comes off and, inside she put little furniture, like a doll house. There’s a little fireplace with a stack of wood beside it. It’s so cute! Next spring, we’ll attach it to one of the tree stumps and, hopefully, a little squirrel family will move in.
We had a nice weekend. Becky had some papers to grade so we tried to give her some quiet time to do that. Payge made a card for her teacher, which she’s planning to give her for Christmas. She did a great job. Cole played with the “Game of Life” by himself - he couldn’t get anybody interested enough to play it with him. Bern, Wade, Payge and Cole spent some time out in the boat fishing. It was very cold, though, so they only did short trips - and, the fish weren’t biting. Payge and Cole are addicted to badminton - they played for hours! Cole even played by himself - he swung and swung at the birdie, and swung some more. Every now and them, he’d hit it and was delighted! Then, he’d start all over again. It was very cute!
Saturday afternoon, Wage, Becky, Payge and I went for a LONG walk in the woods. Got some great pictures for scrapping. I'll put them on a slideshow when I get home. We were gone about two hours and were pretty well exhausted when we got back. I didn’t feel too bad - Payge (9 years old) was tired, too. Becky had brought up baked spaghetti for supper, so we popped it into the oven as soon as we got back. We had some garlic bread in the freezer, so we toasted that up, too. Easy supper and very good!
Herman and Judy came over at 7:00 for coffee and apple crisp - yummy. The kids went to bed around 8:00 so we put on a movie called Juno. It’s won all kinds of awards - I really don’t know why other than it was “different”. Anyway, Bern went to bed to read almost as soon as the movie started - he was the smart one.
Sunday, the boys (Bern, Wade and Herman) cut down a log that had fallen across Al’s road and then attacked some of the dead ones on our property. It was all very exciting! Can you tell I’ve been in the bush too long??? After many rides on the ATV, the Feere’s packed up and prepared to head for home after saying good-bye to the Poel’s and Cedar. Herman and Judy had heard the sounds of van doors opening and closing so came over to wish them a safe trip home. Cole still isn’t too sure about Cedar so as soon as he could, he escaped back into the van. All in all, a good time was had by all.
Judy Attrill called to invite us to Huntsville to celebrate their 36th wedding anniversary with them. We’ll go to a Chinese restaurant where we’ll get a chance to catch up on news. We saw them at the beginning of the summer and planned to get back or have them come to the cottage - and, as happens unfortunately, we never got around to it. I’m really looking forward to seeing them.
Bern took the boat out of the water today. The Weather Network is calling for sub-zero temperatures this week - yikes! We’re looking forward to Thanksgiving with Penny, Howard, Lou, Karleen, James and Emily. I’m kind of afraid to call James for fear he’s going to tell me they’ve decided not to come! How pathetic is that? All you Mom’s will know what I mean, right? Karleen called to ask that we let her know if anyone has any communicable viruses, such as colds, to let her know. She is on cancer medication and her white blood count is way up (or is it down?) - anyway, anything viral is very dangerous for her right now. Thankfully, so far, everybody is healthy.
No comments:
Post a Comment