Saturday, October 18, 2008

Quiet days of card making!

I came home on Thursday after spending a couple of hours with James in Oakville. We went to Swiss Chalet and caught up on all the news. He may try getting a job with another company where they offer training and a benefits package after a couple of months. Right now, he gets nothing but a very small salary and commission (6% on any additional products sold to customers) and the boss is trying to lower that as well. Not a good situation. Anyway, for now he doesn't want to think about coming to Welland. That's a last resort for him. Emily wants to be a dental hygienist now, which will take another two years.

I talked to Tammy yesterday. Brent wasn't home yet. He apparently went to the gym after work. Tammy and I had a good talk, though, so that was fun. They're looking at a wedding in Taiwan next November. Then, they'll plan another wedding here. She said when they got back to Taiwan from Canada, they went to visit her parents in Tainen City. She said she was so proud of Brent for speaking to her father (making himself understood using the Mandarin he's learned). Her parents are very happy for them. Tammy said that the Taiwanese custom is that the bride's parents provide the engagement party and the groom's parent are responsible for the actual wedding. But, since Brent has no family there, they are providing the whole thing! Of course, we will be helping with the Canadian wedding. My new daughter-in-law is starting a scrapbook of her life with Brent. Isn't that cool?

I called my mother last night. She sounds good. She and Greg drove Cassie to Illinois where she will stay until next June. She's in a room with seven other women. Cass and another young woman are using their time by memorizing scripture. Please pray for Cassie's safety while she's there.

I've been working on Howard's Christmas cards. I've made the fronts of 31 cards leaving 19 to finish. Then, I have all the insides to make. They really are pretty, even if I do say so myself. I showed him the cards in progress when he and Penny were at the cottage for Thanksgiving and he liked them, too. I said I realize they'll probably just end up in the garbage (as most Christmas cards do), but he said his family really do appreciate art and quality - that makes it worth it!

Tomorrow, Fran is coming out for a little visit. We'll probably go over to the mall and then go for something to eat - either a late lunch or early supper. I've got to lose weight! I can't believe what I look like these days!!! It was all the laziness, good food, bad weather (sitting around inside), and lots of company over the summer. This week, I've been eating Lean Cuisine's, just to get a jump start. I even bought a work-out video - YIKES! I've got a wedding coming up in a year or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment