Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Spillway at Fort Peck Dam

Mom and I traveled up to Glasgow yesterday to pick up a few items at a discount store up there and then we went for lunch at Subway. We had been told about a wonderful deli, but when we finally found it, there was a sign on the door that the restaurant was closed on Tuesdays - our luck!

All the way up, we saw flood waters everywhere! Trees were half-submerged all over the place and there was water where there's never been water before - that is, since Noah and the Ark!! Anyway, after lunch we decided to go to Fort Peck to witness first hand what we've been hearing about all week. The water is so high behind the dam from the record snowfalls this winter and from the winter runoff from the Rockies that they've had to open the spillway and let water go over the plains and into the Missouri. It was quite awesome to see - so, I took some video. This time, I changed the settings on the camera, so hopefully it works this time....it DIDN'T! So, here's a picture Mom took of me. When I get this video thing worked out, I'll post it then.



Mom and I have been having a ball playing Hand and Foot. We play at least once a day - it's so much fun. One of these days, she's going to start winning - then, I'm doomed! I know it's only a matter of time before the cards switch loyalties! In the meantime, I'll enjoy my little streak!

Today, we're having Greg and Cec over for supper...pork loin roast, roasted potatoes and carrots, applesauce and salad, and fresh bread with blueberry pie for dessert. We made some artisan bread today - never done that before. You mix together 3 1/2 C of warm water, 4 tsp yeast, 4 tsp salt, and 7 1/4 C of all-purpose flour in a 5 qt container (that has a lid). Let it sit for 2 hours with lid on but not tight. Then, you put it in the refrigerator for 14 hours and up to 14 days. When you want to bake it, cut off a grapefruit-size piece, flour it and quickly form it into a ball. Let it rise on parchment on cookie sheet, covered with lightly floured plastic wrap for half an hour. Bake at 450 over broiler pan where you've added 1 C of water. Close oven door quickly to keep steam in. I'm writing this all down for myself, but feel free to try it yourself!

Tomorrow, Mom and I are going to Williston to shop for groceries. I'm hoping to cook up some meals to freeze so she'll have lots of yummy things to eat after I'm gone - at least for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment