Sunday, March 4, 2012

Here I am! (sniffle, sniffle!)

After a wonderful weekend with the Craigs, I came down with a cold. I'm not complaining - it really only lasted a few days. This morning, though, I was washing my hair in the bathroom sink and when I went to stand up straight to towel dry it, I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. I must have wrenched the muscles in my back. I could hardly move! Bern had to help me sit down on the couch and then rubbed some A535 on me and got me an ice pack. Well, it lasted a few hours and then gradually went away. Not nice!

But, now let me tell you about our lovely weekend. We had decided to go to Oakville to take James out for supper for his 29th birthday, which was on Monday, the 27th. We were going to pick him up around 5:00 on Sunday, but when we called him to confirm the time, he told us that one of his best buddies' wife had just had a baby boy and the gang were all going to the hospital to visit them. We were disappointed, but understood.

We'd arrived at Fran and Mike's around 3:00 p.m. on Saturday. Poor Fran was really suffering with a cold but didn't want to cancel our visit - they were hoping to go out with James, too. Anyway, before supper, Fran and I went to pick up Heather after work. Heather made her parents promise not to say anything to us about their "exciting news" until she could do it. Okay, are you ready? This is a really neat love story!

Paul, Fran and Mike's son, when he was around 17 years old met Lindsay, an American girl from Ann Arbor, on a school trip. They fell in love and carried on a long distance romance for two years until Lindsay went away to university. Paul moved to London, England where he's lived for the past 19 years. Lindsay became a lawyer and works in a law firm in Manhattan. Anyway, over the course of the years and through failed relationships on both their parts, they stayed in touch. Well, Lindsay went to London to stay with Paul for a week - they decided that they'd only ever really loved each other and have decided they want to be married! Everyone is in happy shock. They're working things out as far as Paul being able to work in New York - once they're married it will be easier, of course. So, they're going to get married at city hall in May and then, next summer they will have a proper wedding in Ann Arbor. Of course, we're all going to the wedding!!!

Well, when we got back to Fran's we had a lovely supper of shepherd's pie, fresh buns and lemon pie. We watched TV for awhile. After Bern and Mike went to bed, Fran and I watched the finale of "Downton Abbey". It was very good and since I haven't seen any of the previous series, I'm looking forward to the reruns. The costumes and scenery are amazing - the story is great, too.

Sunday, we went to church with Fran, Mike and Heather. They've found a wonderful church called Forestview - Church Without Walls. It's very much evangelical, the pastor is a really good speaker and the music was terrific! We enjoyed the service a lot. Jan and Paul came over for brunch and it was great to see them. It was so relaxed and Fran made us a really nice meal. I'm really looking forward to having everybody out to our house for Easter - which is coming up fast!

James has had the flu this week, so I've tried to stay in touch. When I talked to him tonight, he sounded fine and is busy working on his assignment for his Procurement course which is due soon. He's doing so, so well. His exam scores have been in the 80's and 90's - I'm so proud!!!

Here are a few pictures of our Sunday afternoon with the Craigs. I was hoping to have a birthday picture of James - this is probably the first year I don't have one.





No comments:

Post a Comment