Monday, December 3, 2012

Ok...ok...I'm still here!

I've rarely gone without writing on here at least once a month, but it's been over a month. If I try to remember everything I've been up to, my brain will surely short circuit! I'll have to go back to the emails I've sent to my Mom to refresh my memory. I'm sure that's why I haven't felt the need to update my blog - I've already told my stories to her!

Today, we made our Christmas meat pies (or Tortierre). We haven't made them for a couple of years since when we did, we always made so many of them we were eating them well into the next year - thus, we got sick of them. But, now want them again! We only made 8 pies this time. Bern always makes the meat part and I make the pastry - it works. The smell of meat, garlic, nutmeg and cloves was wonderful!




So, now let's back track a little: We went up north the first week of November. We had a very restful visit. That is, after two shopping trips to Sudbury! When we arrived in Massey, Jackie informed me that she, Jackie Mascotte and I were going shopping Saturday - a girls' day out! We had a great time - we went to Costco! I'd never been in one, so it was quite an experience - you would have thought it was the week before Christmas - the crowds were ridiculous! We had a the festive special at Swiss Chalet for lunch, and went to a couple of great dollar stores before heading home. The next day, Bern helped Jackie fill out some papers so she can get her PAL (she can own and sell guns) - that's my girl! Remember that sweet little puppy I showed you pictures of earlier in the summer? Well, she's grown up - but, she's still just as sweet!



Sunday afternoon, we packed up our stuff and went out to Wayne and Lise's. We no sooner got in the door when Lise told me that she, Jocelyn (Bern's cousin) and I were going to Sudbury shopping (another girls' day out) - am I complaining? We had another good day. Went to Marshalls, Home Sense and Boston Pizza for lunch. Bern and Wayne went deer hunting.

The rest of the week was pretty quiet. The guys were out most of the day hunting and Lise and I visited, watched TV, played cards and created a topper for her diningroom table centrepiece. Well, Tuesday night, Wayne shot a 12-point buck, so they were happy about that! Lise and I walked down to the equipment building to take pictures of the beast for posterity. Bern said it was the biggest buck he'd ever seen! Prepare to be amazed....
The rest of the week was quiet - the guys still went hunting every day and on Saturday, we headed for home - there was a big ice storm on the way, so we thought we'd better get south before it hit. We got back on Saturday afternoon and by the time we went through the mail, unpacked, got groceries, we were pooped. Went to church on Sunday, came home and cleared out the garden of dead things...plants, that is. Filled up 3 huge bags! The weather was record-breaking warm on Sunday and Monday, so I went for a nice long walk on Sunday afternoon. Then, I started designing the bookmark invitations for the kids' Christmas concert. Got them finished so Christine (Pastor's wife) came over last night to take a look at them and approve the printing, etc. She LOVED them. Took the bookmark template and the poster over to Staples to be printed and cut. They were ready the next afternoon - whew!!! One project down, six more to go....at least!

We had our planning meeting and prayer coffee for Christian women's club. Our event the next Tuesday was "An Old Fashioned Christmas Bazaar". I decorated some plain gift bags from the dollar store, put in tissue paper and ribbon and a tag (a little wrapping package). Also, I made some little favors I saw on the internet. I bought 6 small wisks at the dollar store, filled them with Christmas candy, put them in clear plastic bags, tied them with Christmas ribbon, with a tag that says "We wisk you a Merry Christmas!" I also attached a little "Christmas candy" tree decoration to each one. Cute! All the proceeds will be donated to Stonecroft missionaries as a Christmas blessing.
---------
Our Christmas Bazaar went very well yesterday. The morning was quite full - we even had a .....wait for it.....bagpiper! I've always loved a good old stirring rendition of Amazing Grace on the pipes. We had some ladies from the Niagara Health Services come to tell us about the brand new state-of-the-art hospital scheduled to open in St. Catharines in March of next year. Sounds very impressive! However, they're closing every other hospital in the region - so, that's caused an uproar in our little communities, you can be sure. Anyway, there's nothing we can do about it now, so we can only hope we don't have an emergency. It's about a 20-30 minute run which could be crucial if you're having a heart attack!

We sold all of our little handy crafts, baked goods and canned items. The ladies had a great time!
---------
Fran is coming out Tuesday afternoon and staying until Wednesday afternoon. We're going to a friend's church for a Christmas supper and program. Then, the next day we're going to the Prince of Wales Hotel in Niagara-On-The-Lake for a Victorian Tea. Great news! Paul got a job in Toronto and they are starting to look for an apartment for him in the city. That just leaves Heather. She's had several interviews which looked very promising, but hasn't landed a job yet. She's trying to stay positive and is relying on her faith more and more.

Got an email from my friend, Dawn. She has Parkinson's Disease and she's having a really difficult time. Her meds are making her vomit and she's really getting discouraged. I woke up the other night in the middle of the night and she came to my mind, so I prayed for her....then, I got her email asking for prayer. Weird, huh? Her sister, Marilyn just spent a week with her to try to help. One of Dawn's daughters and her husband moved to a city not too far away, so Dawn and Ken spend time at their house a couple times a month.
--------
Fran came out and we had an amazing time! As she walked in the door, she had a message on her cellphone to call Heather. Heather got a great job offer from a very nice ladies' store! She's so excited and we're so, so pleased for her! Anyway, Fran and I attended a wonderful evening at the church of one of my friends from Niagara Women's Connection. There was a fabulous supper and a Christmas program. The next day, we went to NOTL for tea and the Prince of Wales Hotel. It was awesome! Twice a year they have a 2-for-1 special - so, we're already looking forward to the next one in March! Maybe Jan and Maggie can come out???
--------
I'm working on the kids' Christmas musical programs. I had help making 13 pairs of angel wings for the little kids - thank goodness! While I was watching the kids practice their lines, I noticed there was mention of Snickerdoodles. I thought to myself, I bet these kids have never even heard of Snickerdoodles, so I baked up a bunch and took them in for a little treat on Saturday morning. Well, they LOVED them, of course! They're so cute!

Well, on Tuesday I'm going out for lunch with the executive team of Niagara Women's Connection as a Christmas lunch, then on Thursday the ladies of our bible study are getting together for a potluck lunch. And, are you ready for it? On Saturday, I'm going to Oakville and then into Toronto with the girls for our annual Christmas Tea at the King Edward Hotel!! I was so sure I'd gained at least 5 pounds back since going north at the beginning of November that I didn't want to even get on the scale - but, miracle of miracles, I'm down another 2 pounds! That's 12 so far - but, I just hope I can make it through the next few weeks without getting crazy!

I think I'm caught up!


No comments:

Post a Comment