Friday, August 1, 2008

Yes, we're still here!

We've had a relatively quiet week. How quiet was it, you ask? It was so quiet that we were starting to look for any old excuse to get out of the house. So, when Wednesday rolled around and it was raining buckets with lightning and thunder, Mom and I played TWO games of Hand & Foot. We usually only manage to get through one game in a day. I don't even want to say this (because the jinx will come upon me), but I've won three of our four games!! Dang, there goes my winning streak!

Anyway, when the rain stopped, Mom and I headed for the door. We did need a few groceries, but we also "needed" to check out the new Dollar Giant store we'd seen earlier in the week. They have absolutely everything in there, including a pretty good selection of scrapbooking supplies - uh oh! And, get this, nothing in the store costs more than a dollar. Fancy that, huh? Usually you go into those places and you quickly notice that everything is at least a dollar. Anyway, we spent an hour in there mostly just looking at stuff. It was great.

This morning, we decided to check out Port Colborne, which is a quaint little town on the Welland Canal. We just had the best time! They are in the middle of their Canal Days celebration. We walked along the canal and admired the beautiful boats - yachts, tall ships and huge freighters. There were many vendor stalls with all sorts of things you could buy (if you weren't with a husband!) - girlfriends, I needed you today! Just kidding, we had a great time. As we were waiting for one of the big ships to come up the canal, we heard this bell ringing and this voice shouting "Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Hear Ye! I now pronounce that Canal Days has officially begun". It was the Town Cryer!!! So cool.

We went into a restaurant and Mom bought us a nice lunch - she finished hers for supper tonight. As we were walking back up the street to go to the car, we heard this horrendous BOOM! As we turned around to see where it had come from, another BOOM resounded, making us jump. Well, this pirate ship came up the canal and was firing at the town! It was great! I took a movie of the ship, but it didn't actually fire while I was filming, so all you get is a picture.

Tomorrow, we're looking forward to seeing Penny and Howard. They will be here around noon for lunch. Maybe we'll take them down to that beautiful park we found the other day by the canal. It was so pretty. Then, Howard wants to take us all our for dinner to the Urban Steakhouse and Grill in Fonthill - the same place he took us to the last time they came out. The food's good and I think there's entertainment on Saturday nights. Should be fun!

Well, that's it for now.

1 comment:

  1. Hand and Foot?! I haven't played that in YEARS! I don't even remember HOW to play... just that it's so fun!

    ReplyDelete