Thursday, October 21, 2010

You can't have too much pleasure!

Bern left Sunday morning to go moose hunting with Wade and their group of about 10 fellows from Simcoe. They hunt just south of where our cottage was. At church, our Pastor prayed with me for their safe trip and also for the moose! I haven't heard from Bern, yet, so they probably are still moose-less. I really don't mind if they get one as long as I don't have to cook the darn thing!!

Anyway, on to the pleasure - my girlfriends arrived Monday evening with bags of groceries and hearts full of anticipated rest, relaxation and card playing. We put together a lovely supper of sandwiches, crackers and cheese and pate - and sat down to catch up on all the latest news. We finally went to bed around 1:30 a.m.

Tuesday morning, we all got up (some significantly earlier than others), had breakfast and got down to playing cards. Of course, you have to realize that in the midst of all this seriousness, was unabridged and, at times, gut busting frivolity! For instance, Ginny had bought eye patches for the four of us to wear in Jan's "eye surgery" honor, so when she came down for breakfast, we all greeted her wearing the patches. It was hilarious! Ok - so you had to be there!




Maggie won at cards by a landslide! Ginny and I barely made it onto the score sheet, but we had so much fun anyway. I banished everyone from the dining room and kitchen so I could prepare them a special lunch. I had made this awesome butternut squash soup a couple of weeks ago and put it in the freezer for this occasion. I served it piping hot with a dollup of sour cream in the middle and sprinkled with cracked pepper - yummy! They loved it. Then, I served a baby spinach salad with raspberries, blackberries, mandarine oranges, sliced red onion with poppy seed dressing drizzled over and topped with freshly toasted sliced almonds. It was to die for! Also, I served fresh made garlic toast. It was so good. So, for supper (around 8:00 p.m.), we just had bits and pieces of the supper we had the night before while we tucked in to watch three movies: The Green Zone with Matt Damon, Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downy, Jr. and The Blind Side with Sandra Bullock (I really liked this one).

By the time, we finished watching our movies, it was after 1:00 p.m. so we all succumbed to our beds. I think we did pretty good for our age! Sorry, Jan....she's the baby of the group at 58. The next morning, we had blueberry pancakes, eggs and fresh berries. We needed our strength for the day of shopping that lay ahead....and, which was fabulous! We went to Winners and spent at least two hours just browsing and Christmas shopping and shopping-shopping! Then, we headed up to Fonthill to The Log Cabin for lunch and MORE shopping. We were very tired out by the time we got back home! We sorted through all our parcels, packed the suitcases back into the trunk, hugged lots, and said our goodbyes. I had the absolute BEST time and so did they!


Today, I did all the laundry, worked on my computer (church calendar is due for November), tidied up a little and am thinking about picking up a pizza for supper. Maybe I'll just think about it - but, I'll probably just make a sandwich! It's nice not to have to think about feeding anybody else - for awhile, at least! By Saturday, I'll be ready to again resume life as a wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment