Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bella's celebration

We arrived at Howard and Pen's on Friday afternoon. The weather was great. They planned a spectacular dinner for us starting off with shrimp cocktail. Howard made an awesome Caesar salad from scratch, and Pen served up a fettuccine and chunky tomato sauce...followed up with lemon pie....followed up with cards!

Saturday morning, we woke to an overcast drizzly day. Pen and I went for a 3 km walk which was great. We played cards in the afternoon and then Pen and I cut up fruit for fruit trays for Bella's party on Sunday. We went out for fish and chips for supper. They told us about this great little restaurant that was supposed to be even better than Henry's. I didn't think so. It was okay and the atmosphere was nicer, but the food wasn't as good. Sorry, guys! Anyway, it was lovely of them to treat us to supper.

Sunday morning, everyone was up and ready to go to church early. The Mass was all in Italian, so we didn't understand it at all. After the regular service, three babies were being baptized, including our little Bella (who, by the way, was a perfect little angel through the whole thing!) We all went to Nev's Dad's house after church and got to talk to some of the relatives we hadn't seen in a long time. They put on a lunch of pasta, mixed veggies, veal parmesan, and roasted potatoes - plus salad and rolls. Nobody cooks Italian like Italians - I don't care how hard we try!

Everyone went out of their way to make us feel like part of the family - we are, through Bella, but they are such kind people. I especially want to mention Nev's brother, Elvis and his wife, Helen. They are such a nice young couple - I thoroughly enjoyed talking to them. They have the cutest little boys! One of the earlier scrapbook pages is of Noah's 1st birthday. Anyway, we had a wonderful time.

Penny decided to go home with Brad and Nev so they could get up early the next day to go back to Nev's Dad's house to help clean up. So, we decided to pack up and go home, too. It was great to be back in my own bed!!! Maybe I'm getting old (well, yes I am getting old), but my bed fits just right - and when I try to sleep anywhere else, my body just doesn't like it!

We talked to James last night. We will go into Oakville next Sunday for Mother's Day. He said he would make us dinner - but, that it might be nicer just to go out - his words, not mine! Bern thought that was a good idea, too. So, I'm really looking forward to that. We'll go to church in the morning and then straight to Oakville.

Bern's been busy outside cutting grass and whipper snapping everything in sight. I did some weeding in the garden and now I'm just waiting for him to finish up so we can go for a walk. I think he's stalling and hoping it will start to rain so he doesn't have to go.

I will be working on scrapbook pages over the next few days, so stay tuned. I can't wait to get started!!

No comments:

Post a Comment