Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Back to earth!

Well, the girls came out last Wednesday afternoon and stayed until Thursday afternoon. Of course, we had a wonderful time! Every time they asked about Brent and Tammy, I had to say they were just fine and we hadn't heard any baby news. Was that hard!!! They'd asked us not to tell anybody right away - until they'd passed the first 8 weeks and we didn't want anybody else to know before they told James, so my tongue was a bit sore by the end of our visit.

Wednesday afternoon was spent around the diningroom table just gabbing about everything under the sun and then we donned our bathing suits and went out for a swim before supper. I made a pasta dish and garlic toast with tossed salad. For dessert (light, of course....well except for the ice cream) I'd made angel food cake, a raspberry/blueberry compote, fresh peaches topped with Cool Whip! It was very good!!

We got out the cards after supper and started shuffling - a small voice drifted up from the family room asking what were we playing. My husband is hooked on Hand & Foot - we had to let him play! He won both games, so we won't let him play anymore! Just kidding.

On Thursday, Ginni and I got up early and enjoyed a cup of tea out on the deck. It was good to have some time to visit with her by myself. She'll be going back to England at the end of the month after being here all summer. With us being away all of July, we've not really had a chance to talk much. Anyway, it was lovely. When the other sleepy heads got up, we decided to go out for brunch at a little place called Benedict's. The breakfasts are very good and it's not expensive - the girls treated me! On our way home, we decided to stop in at VerMeer's to have a look around the gift shop - lovely!

We came home and spent the rest of the afternoon on the deck and in the pool. So wonderful! Here are a few pictures just to prove how much fun we had. Ginni took pictures of us in the pool, but I didn't get a chance to download them before they went home.



 
Last Saturday was our annual neighborhood BBQ. Great fun again. I made Nikki's macaroni salad - it was a hit, of course! There were actually three pasta salads this year - funny! Other than the bees, the evening was another success. Sheila got stung when she sat on a bee, so she went in and slathered her leg with baking soda/water paste. It seemed to take the sting away. This was good to know since the next day I got stung in the finger when I went to brush the stupid thing away from my face! I'd forgotten why they call it a "sting" - now, I remember!
 
We got our high-speed internet hooked up on Saturday. Nothing is without its problems, though. My desktop on the second floor isn't wireless, so we had to get the cable guy to wire the modem upstairs instead of in the basement where he wanted it. It took some fancy intimidation on Bern's part to get him to finish the job right. By the time the guy left, though, you would have thought they were the best of buddies. He's got a real knack, my husband!!! So, now we're wired for Skype calls to Taiwan! We'll at least get to see our little grandchild growing up!
 
Our friend, Herman came by today for a visit. He's just back from his whirlwind tour of Canada and southwestern U.S. He did the Rubicon trail trip with his jeep in California. Quite harrowing, but fun! Tomorrow afternoon, he and Bern are going to site in Bern's new rifle at the range Herman belongs to. I'll be working on my invitations for the club event in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment