Friday, August 14, 2009

Updates from the North!

Thursday, August 13th

Well, everyone got up early this morning. Bern and Wade went out for one last fishing excursion. Bern couldn’t be out-fished by a 6-year-old! He did catch a big fish, too, but Wade says Cole’s was bigger. Is this how it all starts? Mine is bigger than yours? Oh well.

The Feere’s packed up and headed for home after lots of hugs and “thank you’s”. They may try to come up again for a weekend in September. Bern has gone fishing for the day with his friend, Ray, so I’m having a very quiet, relaxing day to myself. So far, I’ve brushed my teeth, sat out in the sun with my book, updated my blog, took a little dip in the lake, cleaned up some files on my laptop…this is sounding WAY too busy! I think I’ll pack myself a little lunch, take the camera and go for a little paddle around the lake - I know that sounds busy, too, but I’ll paddle slowly!

The weather is perfect! Bern got back around 4:00 p.m. after a very nice day of fishing - no fish, but still a nice day. The forecast is for more perfect weather to come…a little rain next Tuesday, but that’s it. Bern’s eye is starting to look a little better, thank heavens - and, he says the pain is gone. Tomorrow, we’re going into town to do the laundry and go to the library. Saturday, we’re meeting Ray and Shirley in Burks Falls for lunch.

We had a call from Brad today inviting us to a BBQ at their house next Sunday in honour of Brenda’s visit from Calgary. We will still be at the cottage - until September. We’re having company next weekend, so we can’t leave here. I was hoping to see Brenda! If we sell the cottage, maybe we’ll take a trip out to Calgary.

Wednesday, August 12th

Yesterday ended up being a very busy day after all. Bern’s eye was no better so we all decided to go into Huntsville to the drugstore to get his prescription transferred. While we were there, Becky, Payge and I checked out the Scrapbook store and a used book store. The guys picked us up and we went for lunch. After we retrieved Bern’s prescription, we came back to the cottage via the dump where we got to watch a couple of bears - a big one and a smaller one. The kids were excited!



The afternoon was warm enough for the kids to go tubing. It was great fun to watch them. They were pretty tired out and were in bed and fast asleep by 8:00 p.m. After we’d all gone to bed, except for Wade, we got a knock on our bedroom door. It was Wade. He had been down on the dock admiring the beautiful moon, when he heard something big splashing at the water’s edge. Then he heard the critter crash into the bush, but when Wade gave a moose call, the animal came back to the water. Unfortunately, Wade couldn’t see it, but is positive it was a big moose!

This morning, we got another knock on our bedroom door. It was Wade - again. He’d caught two BIG bass and needed a photographer down at the dock! I took lots of pictures - I think he’s going to enter the pictures in a contest. The fish were beautiful, I have to say.

Today has been an absolutely perfect summer day. Becky and I spent time on our lounge chairs reading our books and sunning while Payge and Cole spent most of the day in the lake - swimming, tubing, paddle boating. We are going to BBQ some chicken for supper tonight. They are planning to leave early tomorrow morning for home as Becky has to do laundry and re-pack for their adventure to Disney World in Florida next week. It sounds like so much fun; I’d love to go along. They said maybe next time!!



Later: Supper was great - we put together a garden salad and a pasta salad. The chicken was perfect. The kids and Wade went out fishing after supper and Cole caught a “monster” bass! He was the proudest 6-year-old on the planet!! Wade was pretty proud, too! We took lots of pictures for posterity, to be sure. It didn’t take Cole 5 minutes to fall asleep last night - he was completely tuckered out. Payge took a little longer to settle down, but she’s going to be 10 in a couple of weeks, so 8:00 might be a little too early for her. Her Mom says they’ll be letting her stay up a little later once school starts. I remember when we were kids having to go to bed when it was still light outside in the summer - and how weird it seemed!!!


Tuesday morning (yawn!), August 10th

Happy Birthday, Melissa! I can’t believe you’re 31!!!

Well, dawn has barely cracked - difficult to tell since the sky is overcast - and Wade, Payge and Cole are already out in the boat fishing! Becky has been busy tidying up the kitchen and is making me a cup of tea - life is good! Bern is still in bed. His eye is getting worse again. He and Wade went into Burks Falls yesterday to get the big propane tank filled and while they were there, they stopped in at the drug store. The druggist gave him some over-the-counter Visine drops for allergies which helped a little bit. If he’s not better by Friday, we will go to Huntsville to the Shoppers Drug Mart. They will have his prescription on computer, hopefully. Otherwise, we will have to go home.

Yesterday, Wade and the kids got up early and were gone fishing before we even knew anyone was up. The day was warm with a few sunny breaks, so the kids went swimming in the afternoon. Payge and I made her birthday party invitations while Cole drew pictures. It was a relaxing day followed by a roast beef dinner with fresh blueberry pie for dessert. After the little ones went to bed, we watched “Return to Witch Mountain” with Dwayne Johnson (aka The Rock). It was a cute Disney movie and we’d wanted to see it for awhile.

No big plans for today. I may even finish knitting a little dress I’ve been working on for Bella. I have the back, front and half of the sleeves done already. Mind you, there’s no rush since this dress is for a 3-year-old. I haven’t done any fancy knitting for years, so I wanted to give myself lots of time to finish it. Oh well!

Sunday, August 9th

The Feere’s arrived on Saturday around 1:30 p.m. loaded down with all sorts of cottage essentials including bathing suits, clothes, beach towels, portable DVD players, DS2’s, Wii System and games, colouring books, books, 80 movies, not to mention food enough for a week or two!! Within the first two hours, Payge and Cole had beat each other at checkers, played Twister, gone out on the paddle boat, went fishing with their Dad and Uncle Bert, watched part of a movie, played Wii games, Payge coloured while Cole played his DS game - all the time looking forward to swimming, playing badminton, fishing, fishing and more fishing in the days to come! The weather was cool but they didn’t seem to mind.

We had a lovely supper of baked spaghetti that Becky had made. I made garlic toast. Earlier in the day I had made a lemon meringue pie and a small raspberry pie (from berries Bern picked out in our yard), and Wade and Becky had brought up an apple and another raspberry pie - we had more pies than people! Judy and Herman came over at 7:00 for (wait for it…) pie and coffee. We had a good visit with them.

This morning we got up to a huge rain storm. The sky was so black, it was like night. Wade got up early and made us all a full breakfast of bacon, eggs and toast. He even made up a breakfast tray for Uncle B. Wade ran outside in the rain to get a bedraggled daisy which he put, roots and all, into a beer mug for the tray. He and the kids took in to him in bed!! It was hilarious.

The kids went swimming today. Cole jumped off the dock a few times while wearing his crocs. The last time he walked out of the water without one of the crocs. Well, we searched and searched for that stupid little shoe. Finally, Bern and Wade dredged it up out of the mud and all was, once again, right with the universe!

Bern’s eye is really bothering him again. Of course, he forgot to bring his prescription eye drops up with him. If it gets any worse, he’s going to have to go into Huntsville to Shoppers Drug Mart to try to get another prescription.

Evening of Friday, August 7th

Well, we finally got out of town around noon on Wednesday. I had been expecting a package to be delivered on Tuesday, which didn’t come, of course. I’d found a website in the U.S. that prints 12 x 12 scrapbook pages for $1.99 each. There are a few sites that advertise that price, but Simply Scrapping only charges $5 for shipping anywhere in the U.S. and Canada - no matter the weight of the package! When I ordered the prints, I had to ask them to delay shipping as we were going to be away at the cottage. Oh boy!

When the package (pages for Bella’s scrapbook) hadn’t arrived by Tuesday, Wednesday morning (on our way out of town) I had to make arrangements with the post office for my neighbor to be able to accept it in my place. Sounds easy enough, doesn’t it? Bern and I went to the post office - I had to fill out a special form authorizing my mail to be picked up by someone else. Then, we went back home to tell our neighbor what we had to do and to leave our mailbox key with them - they had gone away for the day!!! Luckily, another neighbor was standing outside talking with some of the other ladies on the street. We told her our problem - and before we had even finished explaining about the mail, she said she’d be more than happy to help out. Lynn, you are a lifesaver!

So, back to the post office we went to change the name on the form. Whew! Bern was wonderful through the whole episode. Lynn will pick up our mail while we’re away and will pick up my package as soon as the card comes in the mail. We went for breakfast and then took a little scenic detour through Brock University. It’s a very beautiful drive along the Niagara Escarpment. It was therapeutic! We stopped at Weber’s on Highway 11 for an ice cream cone and a bathroom break. We asked for one scoop each and couldn’t finish them - they were so big! Next time, we’ll share one!!

The strangest thing happened - we lost a day! I don’t know how or where, but for some reason we thought Thursday was Wednesday. This is only important because the town dump is closed on Wednesday, which is important because James left a few bags of garbage in the “boathouse” and we needed to get it out of there so we wouldn’t have any unwanted, black furry visitors. We decided that since it was Wednesday (really Thursday) and the dump was closed, we would go to Huntsville to Wal-Mart to pick up some mini blinds for our bedroom, the bathroom and the other bedroom, and to do our grocery shopping at the big Independent grocery store there. It wasn’t until we were on our way back that Bern checked his watch and discovered it was Thursday. I didn’t believe it and so we checked the channel guide on TV and sure enough - THURSDAY! It was the same feeling as thinking you’re going east only to discover you are really going west! Not that that happens very often, thank heavens! So far, that is.

Today (Friday - really!) we went to the dump. Then, we went up the highway to Pickerel Lake to visit Bern’s friend (and now mine) Ray and his wife, Shirley who have a beautiful log cabin in the woods. They’re from Welland and are hoping to retire up here in a couple of years. We had a nice time and are planning to get together again in September, either there or at our cottage. Bern is going fishing with Ray next Thursday, which will give me a day to clean up and get ready for Pastor Rene, Christine and Austin’s visit. Okay, now I’ve lost a week! They’re not coming until the following weekend - so, I’ll have a quiet day to myself on Thursday. Friday, we plan to do laundry in Burks Falls and I will go to the library to use the internet.

We are expecting Wade, Becky and the children tomorrow around 1:00. They’re planning to stay for a few days - probably until Wednesday.

I forgot to post these pictures of Bern and me - all dressed up for Teresa and Darren’s wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment