Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Had to come home for a couple of days!

Tuesday, August 18th

After calling the eye doctor this morning and getting an appointment for Thursday morning, we drove home today. It was raining when we left, so it wasn't too hard to leave. When we got home, I rushed across the street to pick up our mail and my scrapbook pages. I am SO happy with the quality of the prints and will most definitely get the rest of Bella's scrapbook printed there!

We were going to the movies tonight to see "District 9", but we couldn't get near the theatre - it was packed! We're not sure if it was because the movie is so great or that everyone just wanted to get out of the heat and into the air conditioning...probably a bit of both. Anyway, it's our 31st anniversary tomorrow, so we've decided to go to the matinee in the afternoon.

We got some wonderful news from my Mom. Quote: "Just wanted to tell you that I'm okay --- just a bunch of little cysts on kydneys, liver, spleen etc. They'll check up on it again in a few months!! So thank you for your prayers -- don't mind telling you I was a little worried (but that's what I do best!!) God Bless you all --- and all my love, Mom/G'ma/Gladys". Praise the Lord!!!

Nev took this picture of us right before we went to the wedding a couple of weeks ago. I was going to post it on here, but was having problems with my computer while I was at the Burks Falls library - my computer suddenly turned off. The plug had pulled out of the back, so I'd been running on battery power all along. Well, that set me back because I had to reboot my computer - and I knew I was running out of time since Bern was finishing up the laundry and I had to get back over there to pick him up. All this to say, here's the picture!!



Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bern’s eye is not getting any better. It seemed to be clearing up while he was using the prescribed drops. However, he stopped after 4 days. He read the information sheet which gives the possible side effects, got worried and gave up the drops. Now, his eye is getting worse again. If it’s red tomorrow morning, we’re on our way home to go see the eye specialist.

I called my neighbor, Lynn today. She said my package arrived safely - whew! I can’t wait to see the scrapbook pages. I also told her we won’t be able to attend the neighborhood BBQ on Saturday as we’re having company up here. She said not to worry - there will be many more BBQs!

Ray called to say he and Shirley (from Welland who have a cottage on Pickerel Lake) were going to be in Burks Falls and wondered if they could drop in to see us. Of course, I was in the middle of organizing cupboards, cleaning the oven/stove, etc., but I said by all means, we’d love to see them. Anyway, it was much too hot and humid to keep working like that. They popped in around 2:00, so we had sandwiches and pop for lunch - and we had a nice visit until they left around 4:00 p.m.

I made a peach pie for dessert, which we are just about to dive into. Bern just came back from fishing. He caught a couple 15-inchers!!

Saturday, August 15, 2009

After supper last night, we decided to go fishing - well, Bern fished and I watched. He got a couple of nibbles, but that’s all. The most amazing thing was that the lake was so calm that the forest reflecting in the water was a perfect mirror image. It was quite dizzying! And, most beautiful!! The battery on the camera had run down, of course, so you’ll have to take my word for it. The great blue heron was perched on a branch of a tree overhanging the water. We were practically in front of it before it spread its wide wings and swooped away to another branch. It's really weird to see something that big sitting in a tree!

We had just returned to the cottage and I was making a cup of tea, when I looked out at the lake and saw something swimming. I got out the binoculars to see a whole flock of ducks out in the middle. Bern and I raced (okay, walked quickly) down to the shore and began tossing out bird seed for them. Sure enough, after a little coaxing, they came in - we counted 12 in all. We could tell they were very wild - not like our resident ducks at all. We thought they were on their way south and just stopping by for a little rest. However, today after I’d come back from my little paddle on the lake, 9 ducks returned for more bird seeds. Maybe we’ve created a monster. Oh well, I love watching them.

We went into Burks Falls this morning to get groceries. The weather has been spectacular. Days like these make me praise God for His amazing masterpiece. I realize there are lots of places in the world that don’t compare with what we have here and I thank Him for letting us enjoy this little corner. It really is lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment